Thursday, February 23, 2012

3474. ALL THE RAMIFICATIONS OF POLLARD BAY

ALL THE RAMIFICATIONS 
OF POLLARD BAY
Standing atop this little hill, the road before me spreads,
winding its way down to Pollard Bay. I recognize that scene.
I have been here many times before. Yet, now, in this late
time, all the ramifications of Pollard Bay seem different,
seem broader, seem heavy with new meaning. 
-
I read nothing more than what is : into this place come
all the natural elements, everything one would so plainly
expect. I have light and matter and air and water and
view and visitation. I have angels on the wing, things
hovering on limb and branch. Watchers watch with
me, alongside that same place, walking my same pace.
Birds and wisdom, light and air, all of morning and
matter together. To be this specific is to realize
how general all things truly are. I manifest the
fact that I may be, perhaps, and nothing more.
-
Far off, enough of a distance anyway to be 'there',
the white and blue of the water sings its tune and roils
in sunlight all its happy fare. I watch gulls as they
turn in the air, and I see the few boats as they are
rocking there. And  -  farther off yet   -  the 
beginnings of land rise up again; summer homes,
cabins, a distant lighthouse and an inn. I know
these things, not readily seen, as they exist.
-
So much like all the rest of life is that: knowing
things unseen, surmising the map of place and
understanding the graphic fragment which
outlines the remainders of all that we live.
I know, I know, I must be content with
this : for there is no magic in the land,
there is no magic in the world. Nothing 
to really take me from here. All the
ramifications of Pollard Bay? 'Accept
what you have' they seem to say.

No comments: