Monday, February 13, 2012

3454. WHITECHAPEL

WHITECHAPEL
They drove me to the endings of each world  - 
right where things overlap, as the physical gestures
of trying time and the overhangs of truth together
congeal. I was no Devil in disguise, though brought
to that idea many times. Looking around, I realized
a deadly circumstance. Want and age together.
-
I drove a hard bargain, but he had the upper hand.
Pillaging even the cadavers left along the old medieval
route, he kicked stones into the eyes of the dead as
I watched. The feeling was of a sometime-awe, yet
mostly a dread. We made hatred into a cloth back then.
-
So, you see, I've been around so many years it seems
real time to me : now landed in Whitechapel I will
sit back to doze. I see so many people these days,
yet understanding none and recognizing even fewer,
though they say we are all in this together again.

No comments: