Thursday, February 23, 2012

3472. ON SPOON-BIRD HILL

ON SPOON-BIRD HILL
'I don't have no money' said the
man on the street, holding a sign
which read 'Give me a dime.' Burning
up the thoroughfare like it was a simple 
fact  -  in such a way as this! 'In fact,'
 he reiterated, 'I don't got anything at
all, 'cept this rancid guitar which, if ya' 
don't watch out, I'll start playing again!' 
Could have been, instead, quite the comedian.
-
I'd been watching this bird since long before
now  -  I almost knew his every move : the
bounce-inflected, come-hither voice, so 
perfect for jack-hammering passersby into
a submission  -  finding money where they'd
forgotten it was before. This life, being a
realistic illusion anyway, I well can understand.
-
A mile from here, the foggy bay bells bristled;
distorted tones, twisted by the wind and the hills.
I took a moment to listen, on Spoon-Bird Hill.

No comments: