Monday, February 13, 2012

3457. IN SALEM

IN SALEM
To the sidepiece that avers to nothing at all, nor
to the rumors of wars and insurrections we
seem always to hear, I say I will kill this man with
menace of my own. I've taken the rail to Beacon,
dined at the Marble Arch, sat adjacent to
Zelda where once she roomed with God, and
even  -  to this I swear  -  walked a tightrope
with Philip Petit over the top of Mount Beacon.
Everything has left me breathless and broke.
B-b-buddy, can you spare a dime?
-
Reduced to my most simple motivations, I
am the fellow who whitewashed the bench,
painted yellow the orange door, and washed
the Sunday windows all backwards with lye.
-
Once there was priest who came into my room :
he muttered beneath the table and asked to see
the painting on the wall. I walked him towards the
window and pushed him out. That was 1968, and that
cat's still as dead as they come. Black wastrel
bastard frock-coated collar-wearing Saint Infectious
that he was. And his brother, I know, still lives in Salem.
-
B-b-buddy, can you spare a dime?

No comments: