Monday, February 6, 2012

3439. LANCELOT MAGEMONTY

LANCELOT MAGEMONTY
He lost a finger in some industrial accident;
motorized cutters ripping through steel or
something like that. It was said, above the
din, that he never even flinched, just bent
down to pick up the finger and simply walked
away. They took him to the hospital, but
nothing could be done. It was a thumb, and
he remained that way (thumbless by one)
the rest of his life. Good story, neatly told.
-
I'd met men like this before : rigor-mortis types,
of the mind, of course  -  staring endlessly at
some TV screen to see inane game-show
hostesses wiggle, or to laugh at a late-night
risque joke. They really only come alive when
watching boxing matches or football games.
Everything else leaves them dead and limp
as a really old man's wampeteer.
-
There was a lazy susan on that living room
table. He had it filled with Mason Mints and
spun it fast  -  so fast that the idea was to
see who could shoot a Mason Mint the farthest
off the table. Longest distance won. Each bet
was a dollar. No, I never played, but he was good.
-
Now, seeing as how I've told you all this,
I may as well admit. It's all made up and
I really don't have a clue where I came up
with this tale. But, in my mind, I could
somehow imagine it all occurring.

No comments: