Saturday, December 10, 2016

8955. THINGS ARE DIFFERENT NOW, Pt. 263

263. EAT ! EAT
I've never liked food; it's
just never meant much
to me, I dislike the eating
of it, the tastes, the smells,
the distinctions and those
stipulations that cooks and
diners  -  those eating  -  make
about this being good or
that being good. It's a
very human, a very
physical, thing. I'm much
more ascetic about things;
leave me be, I'll get by. I
have never much cared
about the human element,
From A to Z, any of it.
There are people who 
will go on and on 
about tastes and 
textures, smells 
and sensations, 
every little bit of 
the entire eating 
and digestion thing  
-  the food, the mix, 
the chew, the fragrance. 
As far as I'm concerned
it's crazy. It's never going 
to stop, and I know that  -  
those sorts of people 
never quit. Even as the 
level and quality of 
'food' goes down, 
they'll just continue, 
transferring their 
lust for the chew to 
some other level 
of food intake  -  
whether restaurant-style, 
fine or not, any of 
that brewed at home 
fire and steak stuff, 
or just the endless 
declensions and 
re-definings of 
fast-food or 
casual-dining 
this or that. That's 
what they live for. 
Like wine people, 
with their 'flinty' 
palates with hints 
of blackberry and
cherry. In places like,
for instance, Brooklyn,
now, and others, there 
are entire sub-cultures of
people dedicated to the
complete experience of
perfect dining  -  converted
space taverns, bars, and 
restaurants where only the
cognoscenti eat the most
perfectly-prepared foods
amidst giggles and smiles.
-
Besides my Vedic 
studies, I'd long ago
 read two books that 
provided me intense 
enjoyment and 
intellectual stimulation
  -  like some idiot's 
four-hundred-dollar 
sit down at a fine 
restaurant somewhere. 
The first one, mentioned 
here in a very early 
chapter, was the 
'Autobiography of 
a Yogi', which I took
 in all and total, at a
 ripe young age, and 
then, later, about 
1968, the 'Secret 
Oral Teachings in 
Tibetan Buddhist 
Sects.' These were 
monumental and 
formative to me. Don't 
get me wrong, they 
weren't Huck Finn or 
Catcher In the Rye, 
but they filled that 
niche needed at their 
times. One of the 
Vedic edicts  -  which 
I always liked  -  was, 
to enforce holy 
asceticism, never 
eat food that you'd 
prepared yourself. 
Only eat what and 
when others give 
to you to eat. It was 
a twofold path  -  
you yourself would 
not be preparing 
anything, and therefore
would not eat anything 
'you' had made, and 
at the same time you'd 
only eat when someone 
else offered to you. 
 That could be often, 
or it could be very 
sparse. I learned what 
and where to keep 
away from so as NOT 
to enhance the chances 
of people heaving food 
at me.  It made sense. It
was all about 'desire' and

human-life detachment.
 The Secret Tibetan Oral 
Teachings, at the same 
time, discouraged eating
 by approaching it with 
disgust  -  you fill your 
gut, uselessly, with things
 that only use up your 
own energy and tax 
your system so that 
you can produce the 
remnants as feces. 
Why then bother? Like
the snake or reptile,
consuming itself.
Now that would kill 
anyone's appetite. 
Sometimes you 
have to 'go long', 
using an extreme 
idea to advance 
the point. That's 
how I understood 
it. At the same time, 
there was a lot of 
'negative approach' 
stuff there.
-
Funny thing was, thirty
years later I'd turned that 
all around, in that, besides 
basically (really) not eating, 
as much as I was able to 
'NOT' eat, I'd forbidden
myself, by a form of 
personal edict to NOT eat
food prepared by others.
Which  -  since I myself
would never go near a 
stove  -  brought it all
down to consuming 
whatever it was that 
my wife produced. 
Poor girl  -  a total 
foodie and a massive 
cook, all good. Totally 
into the tastes and
textures and recipe 
formats and all that, 
of food. I admit
it's all wasted on 
me. But, she does
manage. To this day
I have trouble being
around people who 
are eating, or cooking.
The entire process now 
has become so divorced 
from reality anyway, 
with microwaves and 
convection things and 
the raw food movement, 
and all that vegetarian 
and vegan stuff endlessly 
bandied about, that 
people have actually 
almost convinced 
themselves now that 
they are eating
for the 'good' of 
mankind. Yeah, sure. 
Have another helping, 
there, chubby, of some 
high-caloric crap 
while the kid in Mali, 
with his eyes buggy 
and flies up his nose, 
is sucking on a sponge 
he found, soaked in 
someone's last-night's
beetle-juice gravy.
-
In the seminary, we got 
three meals a day, no 
questions asked. The
quality of that food  -
we got Southern food, 
most always, scrapple, 
pork, waffles, syrups, 
tings like that  - I can't
vouch for. I knew 
nothing about it, nor 
did I know anything 
about what supplies 
were trucked in, and 
from where, or how 
fresh anything was.
In 1961 and those years
after, no one really ever
cared about those things,
except maybe Jack LaLanne
and those Mr. Universe 
guys who went around 
on TV hawking their 
wholesomeness and
carrot juice. Oh well,
you had to be there. 
-
There's never absolutely 
any need for three meals 
a day. The entire concept 
is bizarre. It's a mistake. 
Has to be. I have found,
with some training and 
by real discipline, it's 
possibly more like one
meal every three days  -  
that would suffice. This 
whole three meals 
crap does nothing good. 
It produces waste, and 
taxes the body; all of 
which then becomes a
cleanliness fetish for 
a million people, 
wiping their butts 
with toilet paper so 
special and soft you
could sleep on it; which
processes of manufacture 
are toxic and deadly, 
ruining waterways 
and fields, and trees. 
The bathroom and 
cleanliness nazis can 
rule the roost with 
their idiotic airwaves 
stuff  - scents and 
cover-smells, 
automatic bowl 
cleansers, sinks 
and soaps and the 
rest, every bit of it. 
All these freaky 
environmentalists 
and people screaming 
about global warming 
and bad water and 
Amazon forests and 
clear skies. they're 
the same ones 
constantly stuffing 
their mouths and 
then cleaning their 
asses with all this 
stuff. That's all a 
real disconnect. 
A basic, human 
asceticism 
would solve a 
lot of the health, 
toxins and well-being 
problems we face. 
Cancer, chemistry, 
sores, digestion ills 
and sickness would 
all be alleviated. 
Nobody in their 
right mind should 
eat three meals a 
day. In fact, people 
ought to learn how 
to fast. We are a 
nation of pigs 
and piglets.

No comments: