Saturday, January 23, 2016

7726. MY FAVORS ARE ALL DRAWN IN

MY FAVORS ARE 
ALL DRAWN IN
Ideally, the horse escapes the landscape,
the ogre breaks out of his cages. No one ever
dies. Violence does not exist. Ideally, as well,
I am always correct and my acres of money can
save my fellow beings. I ladle out love like
medicine. I stretch forth a candied hand to all
the world's sweet-tooth'd people.
-
The reality, however, being different, causes
me to cringe. I see a 50-year old poem and have
to laugh, as new. That sun, sill lifting the branches
of those oaks. My, my, and what a joke : the
marveled, spitfire world exults, while I huddle.
frightened, beneath some heavy elephant quilt.
My favors are all drawn in. Everything I ever
owned is mortgaged now to the finish. I have
lost my shirt, and my Panama hat as well.
Lord Byron, come get me, please.

No comments: