Friday, January 22, 2016

7717. JUST TELL MY FRIENDS ALL THOSE PIERS ARE GONE

JUST TELL MY FRIENDS ALL 
THOSE PIERS ARE GONE
I used to be a real ragamuffin kid, I hid
beneath piers and wharves. I stole from
barrels of rope and twine, latches and the
left-about hardware for boats. Never got
caught about anything  -  even the guards 
and detectives missed me. I could take
and roll away with a barrel of oats, and
they'd all be as if blind to see.
-
Now all that stuff is gone. Everything's
electric and cameras. And I am old. I can
think back, in some grand reverie, of the
exploits of a kid when young. There's nothing
to take anymore, it's all sealed. And if I took 
it anyway, it's not worth nothing for yield.
The whole grinding world has grown tired.
-
No one wants to hear exploits now -  
especially not those of a tired old guy 
claiming he once was a kid and better 
than you in all that he did.

No comments: