Tuesday, December 1, 2015

7527. IF I CAN KEEP THIS GOING

IF I CAN KEEP THIS GOING 
If I can keep this going until morning 
I might yet see the light of day. Swimming
this Miracle Mile in the late Autumn cold
isn't easy you know. We keep one hundred
paces behind the cavalrymen, and that's just
here on land. When I was a young boy, first
grade, it beckoned  -  like a calling, where
all the big girls were. I couldn't wait.
-
I just looked down and could swear there's a
fish in my coffee.  I've always had that eerie
image, since I was twenty-five : the coffee cup,
drawn up to my mouth and there's the slimy
squish of a fish at my lips. Makes no sense
now; never did then. The way things just are.
-
You know I'm a serious man because all I do
is joke. Everything else is so painful and serious
I try to keep it away unless I'm alone. Then the
dues I pay are monumental; just too much to
comprehend. Let's build that cabin tomorrow
and just run and hide away.

No comments: