Thursday, December 17, 2015

7597. VORACIOUS COMPATRIOT

VORACIOUS COMPATRIOT
We walked together, stalling time, over the hill
of lemon-lime. The triangle of moon-earth-and sky
was up above our heads. There was a dainty frisson
to each part of the moment. Some Cadillac guy with
his silver car drove by. He waved, at nothing really.
-
Outside of this, most other things were the same :
balloon boys, a kid with a fake pistol, light-saber
kids, and a few straight mothers  doing their kiddie
tasks. The Hudson River was bowling boats, or
things running down, along its shiny face.
-
How the world comes to these points, I'll never 
know. Forty years before, there was a boy's orphanage;
here, right on this spot. Now, just nothing but grass.
There's a writer who's written about this  -  I
almost forget, but I enjoyed the tense story. 
-
'Motherless Brooklyn' was the name of that book.
It all coming back now -   Jonathan Franzen was the
writer. I remember. I remember. I remember things.

No comments: