Sunday, August 30, 2020

13,088. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,056

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,056
BIG TIME JAZZ-BOOKING STORY - 
'(you can stay with uncertainty a really long time' )
Sometimes I just used to think
I thought about things way too
much. The sensation I'd gotten
was of spinning my wheels. The
same old feeling came through,
of achieving little. Sometimes I
did feel as if I knew more than 
others about what they were 
saying and doing, but even then
I kept to myself. Really, how can
you get that across to others, that
you 'knew' better then they did,
about the very thing they were
speaking of or being involved with?
Of all interpersonal endeavors,
outside of a pure, cold, silence,
that's probably the next to most
difficult thing to do. Let's just say,
Dale Carnegie would have never
taught anything like that ('How To
Win Friends and Influence People').
Only a stupid man would want to
walk around boasting.
-
I'd ride the bus, and watch the driver;
thinking to myself, what a dumb job.
In fact, what a paradoxical job, when
you think of it  -  sitting in one place,
for a full shift, doing nothing, but yet
going all over the place. Streets and
turns; highways and ramps; dealing
with audacious people, and having
to, at all times, manage it. Running
in place, on a treadmill, with wheels.
As if life itself was a personal, moving,
picture. How does one get paid for that?
And how long does it go on? Twenty 
years? Thirty? And then a well-deserved
retirement, with a million miles of going
nowhere, while gong everywhere, under
one's belt. Get that gold watch out, Charley.
I tried, believe me, I tried. A million things.
-
Terpsichords and violins, together, made 
the sound of an unusual jazz ensemble.
Tapping sounds on tipcloths and bottlecaps;
it was almost as if, right then, at that time,
there was 'time' being made - cool guys on 
platforms, wearing tophats and blowing 
tight horns, while their feet kept time and 
the bodies swayed and in the background
a wild drummer interspersed their time 
and rhythm with his own time and rhythm,
amidst a wild staccato beat broken only 
by moments piled upon moments. And 
no words could suffice ever to break in 
through the haze of sound and the 
cacophonous ride of scale with music : 
Out front and lounging along. On the 
few tables and chairs nearby were 
half-wasted people with twisted faces 
looking up just to watch what was 
happening and maybe getting it, maybe 
not, but in either case present for the 
execution, so to speak, and even though 
this was but a final rehearsal, they 
listened. And the real playdate was that 
night - a few late sets rolling way into 
the wee hours, but everyone was already 
set, and it all just rolled on. That sort
of music, when really good, and done
really right, was satisfaction alone, all
by itself, and it was unstoppable. Past
a certain point, everyone in the ensemble
knew they'd found it, reached that totally
sweet-spot. Function and form taken
over my meter and line. No one talked
about it, when it happened. To talk
about it would have killed it, like
self-inflation kills a memoir. A Memory.
'Everything still remains the same.'
-
One time, I was on the street while the 
trucks lumbered by - delivery guys and 
freight-loads coming and going - and 
it was a lame mid-afternoon day in a 
cold grey late winter climate, and 
everyone seemed tired of the cold;
tired of coats, and tired of just being.
But it was that time of year too, 
when a person knows things are 
about to change; and the body can 
sense the new light and absorb 
somehow the new temperature 
and movement of the very air, so 
that any unsettled feelings of cold 
or weariness can be withstood 
merely by expectation and hope 
alone. I sure knew that feeling
myself, and I wasn't part of anything.
Someone once asked me a question,
and I was momentarily afraid. It had
thrown me way off, being approached'
directly like that while in some reverie,
elsewhere. Weird feeling. I guess I
snapped. The guys name was Horace;
he played some kind of horn, the one
with the little buttons on it. All these
guys were always emulating someone
else, be it black or white. Somehow, 
'Jazz', though black, was a white-man's
gig too. They never seemed to play as
well, or never had the same magic, the
white guys. The black guys had them
beat. But I never said nothing about
that either. These loft things, kind of
musical crazy-parties, were strange,
and anything was apt to break out.
I hung about, sometimes acting almost
as the servant to a bunch of maniacs.
Getting this, watching the elevator, 
dial  -  to be sure of what was coming
up or not; loft parties and such still
being illegal, as was, in fact, living
in the lofts, as well. There was always 
booze to fetch, and what else....Ladies
coming up from the stairs, or the
elevators, and, always, a lookout for
the cops. And sometimes a check on
the noise too. All sorts of factors 
could wreck these nights, and 
start some'big troubles for some
of these guys.
-
I learned a lot about subservience;
kind of my own reverse-slavery, by
blacks! But it was fun, and it involved
no chains. 'Things to come will be 
better than the present, always.'  
That's what Horace had said, and
then he asked me some question,
about something I sort of knew
it would be trouble to talk about.
So, in fear, as I've said, I turned
on him, sort of, and said 'Don't
go asking me questions, OK, unless
you're then gonna' be willing to
accept whatever it is I say, because
I didn't show up here to start a
fight or cause no trouble. So, think
twice before you ask me something.'
I meant it. And we never quite meshed
too well after that. Except he didn't 
know I was really protecting him from
either a hurt or a pounding, because 
it was about his woman, and I knew
what she was up to right then. I
don't know what he ever knew
about what I ever knew, but we
were never the same. Though I 
admit I'd never seen a black lady
in action before. But I left that
room real quickly.
-
Back to the white and black aspects
of the jazz being played, the funny
thing was how a guy named Paul
Whiteman was one of the early
jazz figures who's gotten all this
going. Something like the 1920's I
think. He was a miserable-looking,
blubbery white guy too; nothing
like you'd expect. And there was
this other guy, also pretty weird
(he died in his bed, in alcoholic
hallucinations; something about
natives with spears being under
the bed, trying to stab and poke
him up from underneath. Some
mysterious doctor pronounce
him dead. This second guy's
name, the jazz man, was Bix
Biederbeck. Check my spelling.
Biederbeck's claim to fame,
unique by my standards, had to
do not so much with the music,
but the format. Jazz and its early
recordings were troublesome. 
Guys used to wail and go on; 
horns and noise and all just]
slamming into each other. Live.
But, recording all that was a mess.
The 78 rpm only went for like 3 
minutes. How could a recording
smash ll that together? Bix B,
(Bixby?) solved the problem. He
was all about format : three minutes
sets, and he introduced the idea of 
solos within  -  to the praise and
benefit, I'm sure of a million
rick and guitar guys later. That's
a pretty cool thing to be known for;
the guy who set up popular music,
as it were. Instead of a mash of noise,
he segmented it and broke it down
some, for the modern day's 'recorded'
music and all its possibilities.
-
Then I looked at the poster on the 
entrance-wall and realized I'd 
mis-read the word, and that 
'Terpsichord' was the name of the 
ensemble playing and not really an 
instrument at all, but also (as Terpsicore),
I found out later,   the name of the Greek 
muse of choral song and dance, which 
didn't really fit. But so what, maybe 
it melded well and I'd just missed it all. 
Some people out front were busying 
themselves at the back end of a 
big station wagon which was filled 
with bolts of carpet or something 
which they were throwing onto
the pavement nearby. Some Spanish 
guy kept taking them into the next 
building. This went on for a while 
as I watched, and I wondered how 
and why all these people had come 
to be - just going about their tasks 
each day too, and in such a wide-open 
world with all these closed routines.
And it was as if I saw the very future 
stretched before me in that I was 
knowing that at some point I too 
would have to come to terms with 
life in that respect - what to do with 
all these days, and how to go about 
that vapid routine of living; and as 
the things of time came by me,
over and over in repeated manners,
I sometimes thought to myself that 
'anything' would have to be better 
than that : better than taking the 
place and the station amidst the 
haphazard rank-and-file I saw 
around me, repeating their daily 
chores. But I saw too that I had 
nothing. I had no more promise 
to go on than did the window-washer 
across the way, or the Spanish guy 
hauling carpet, and even though 
I was for now in the advantageous 
position of just 'being' without 
connection, it wasn't going to last 
forever. A part of me didn't want 
to engage; just didn't wish to 
come up to the cruising speed 
needed to mesh with what was 
around me, and I realized then 
that THAT was the calling of art 
or music or at least the finesse 
of sensitivity which made creative 
types always outsiders. Realizing 
and coming to grips with that brought 
me nothing either, but maybe comfort,
 and in my way I sensed that maybe 
a comfort level of such a personal 
dimension was - in reality - the entire 
purpose of life anyway. But NOT in 
the self-indulgent way of merely 
doing (or not) what one wanted,
 but instead in reaching the inner 
achievement or attainment of a 
personal creativity that you could
answer to, and speak form and
proudly so, about yourself. What
the heck? What is anything else
worth that's so better than that?
-
Jazz was always weird to me. The 
scene, and the people; always
jiving, always jamming. I'd 
remembered now having read
something that fit this, by a writer
guy named Anatole Broyard, and
I was real glad to be the one to
have remembered it : Made me
feel worthwhile for 'something'
anyway. It was about a tribal guy,
in Africa, who had a grievance, but
couldn't get his case heard by the
elders, etc. So each morning, before
daybreak, or at, he'd walk under all
the thatched huts, which were up 
on stilts. He'd march and walk,
drumming and walking in a strange
march pattern; drumming to wake
them disturb their rest, invade their 
dreams, as he rehearsed his plea,
chanting it over the drumming, in
a strange, staccato manner as he
marched. Thinking about jazz, I
remembered that man and that story -
and I thought that jazz musicians 
were something like that.

No comments: