Monday, August 3, 2020

13.027. ''WE'VE BEEN SEARCHING'

'WE'VE BEEN SEARCHING'
There's no good grace in the suburbs
of want, and if this 'lockdown' version
of History continues I'm gone. Gone to
the hills where my Soul wants to be; 
Gone to some hinterland closer to me,
far from the sea, and nearer to Thee.
-
The sandwich lady at the Beach Lake
store, just yesterday, was staring at
me through her window. I'd stayed
outside; nothing to do with this maniac
world of masks and insider for me. I
had my loose dog nearby. People
passing said hi. There were cheap
cigarette offers on all the walls.
Brands I'd never even heard of.
-
Across the road, the Beach Lake
Fire Department building was locked.
A guy in an old Mustang stopped by;
new red paint, but badly painted.
A nice young girl, like a bird from
the sky, asked something about the
dog and I made a reply.
-
So then I went to the river and then
I went to the bridge; where we crossed.
It's another state, once you cross, and,
yes, I can tell  -  it sort of immediately 
gets darker and has a different feel and, 
I can see, the people there have different 
minds.
-
Nothing I'd want, but not to be avoided
either. The guy in the blue car? He says 
'Howdy.' I say 'Hey,' back. His girlfriend, 
or wife, just looks on. They make a right, 
while I am walking straight. There's an 
art gallery unattended, and a place for 
beer and soda. Some big, old mill or
foundry looms, and next to it a  RR 
bridge, low clearance, and from some 
hundred and twenty years ago. 
-
Everything seems to have stopped.
'We've been searching for that,'
 some other guy says.

No comments: