Sunday, August 2, 2020

13,024. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,033

RUDIMENTS, pt 1,033
(nearing the clearing)
Sometimes you think and
other times you find you
can't think. Nothing's there.
They say that, for instance,
it takes 10,000 hours at a
piano, to master it. I don't
where they come up with
this stuff, but whatever. I
think that one comes from
some book called The Tipping
Point, or maybe that guy's
next one, Outliers. (Malcolm
Gladwell is his name). Anyway,
it's completely outside of
reason to approach piano
that way, as if the accumulation
of time is all that's needed. I
always liked to think of the
tipping point being at maybe
the 8th beer, but someone like
Gladwell wouldn't get that;
or maybe he'd write another
book about that, and call it
'The Tippling Point.'
-
I had an artist friend who could
produce nothing unless or until
he was drunk. Many of the old
New York School abstract painters
were like that, in a way, but their
solution was simply to stay drunk
and then be able to paint at all
times. One problem was, they
did that for driving too, and it
didn't work, as a few found
out. But, sobriety is always a
consideration, for me, when I
see some of their art, from that
era. I sometimes wonder, 'how
toasted was this guy when he
did this one?' The same with
words, and writers  -  a lot of
them were crash-land basket
case drunks, and they too ended
up in mean deals, like Berryman,
jumping off a bridge in Minneapolis
and waving to the world all the
way down. I guess he was waving
goodbye, but, hey, who knows?
That was about, oh, maybe 1972.
Before that, he'd published a book
entitle 'Recovery'  -  supposedly
about how he kicked all that, but
apparently that wasn't quite the deal.
I have the book here, on a shelf
somewhere, but I've never read it,
not even half. Each time I started,
I got bored stiff, even when I just
began reading wherever the book
fell open, to whichever page; thinking
perhaps there'd be some surprise to
hold me; alas. Not.
-
My writer friend came over and,
finding that book on my shelf, got
all crazy over it (he was always
going overboard on grievances and
such) and started going off about
what a betrayal that was to 'throw
the craft of writing' overboard
through therapy and clinics and all.
I said I thought the only thing he
threw overboard was his self. I
had no real feelings about it either
way, but he got incensed. Paul's
point that any writer should know
to work off the aberrations, use
them as fuel and fodder for new
work, not try to cure them.
Maybe that's true.
-
I used to think he lived in a haunted
house that he could never get out
of. It was sometimes, I admit, 
difficult to get along with him, but
we managed. One time, about 1980, 
he came out to Metuchen, to visit the
house we were living in. He saw a
motorcycle on my grass, and freaked
over that, saying he was very surprised 
to see that I'd gotten a motorcycle. Like
it was a sin or something. Then, as he 
entered, he saw that we had a cat, 
and began tht whole 'I'm allergic to 
cats, and I don't like them anyway,' 
routine; and then lastly, going into the
house he saw I'd been power-sanding
the wood floor throughout, plus then
adding new coats of gym-seal, Marine
Valspar, whatever it was. It was 
odorous, and sanding wasn't exactly 
a clean project. Let's just say he was
back on the train to NYC in short
order. Sometimes he just didn't
get it; the real world and all that.
Paul died of something, some
cancer or other, at 53, in about
2010, as I remember. It's always
a shame. Always.
-
I hated surviving my friends. I hated
living on. Now, of course, I'm glad 
for it, and I admit to being scared of
dying  -  not for any reasons other
than leaving things behind. Leaving
others behind; all my junk, and papers,
and writing and photos and everything.
Including unpaid bills, I suppose, but
once your dead that shouldn't really
even enter the picture, for the dead 
anyway. In fact, some fool said o
me, 'Run up the bills; pack on those
cards. I'm told when you die they're
forgiven.' I don't know how true any
of that is, and once I'm dead I'll
still never know; or at least it's not
the sort of thing I'll ghost back as
to snoop around over. I'm already
tired of everything, so maybe I'll
be glad when it's all finally done?
-
People talk about regrets and sorrows,
all the time; like it was a constant and
always developing thing. I find it's not.
I can't even figure cemeteries out, though
I go there a lot. There's a million of them,
and they're all wasting good space; like
golf courses too. Dead people are just that,
and the kind of memorialization that goes
on has a shelf-life of maybe 20 years, and
that's long; after that fewer people even
know who that old person was, and with
the big monuments or those silly rooms
in mausoleums, etc., you can see it's
the living who have the interest in any
of this; certainly not the dead. Just
because you 'can't take it with you,'
doesn't mean you have to leave junk
cluttered all around like that after 
you're gone.





No comments: