Monday, June 22, 2020

12,911. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,091

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,091
(living like a king)
Most people never finish
anything, because they never
start anything. It's that simple.
I always figured that if a person
stayed within all bounds, never
offending, never breaking out, 
it's the same as if never starting
anything. Like a wheel on a
big truck, no choice but to
go 'round and 'round. The idea
never kept me up at night, but
it was something I considered;
kind of about how people had
whittled themselves, everywhere,
down to nothing. I'd get to then
thinking  -  some odd scenarios.
-
The first settlers of this country,
at the immediate eastern coastline,
were, essentially, rejects. Fleeing
in some adventurous way some 
other situation in old Europe,
whether it was debt, religion, 
crime or poverty. They came,
they settled. It was weird though.
As they settled in and prospered,
with homes and families,
their attitudes and outlooks
probably hardened, as they then
became the more 'conservative'
element, and remained in place.
The crazies then jumped right
over them, and moved along.
The 'next' group, their generated
offspring, along with others, then
became the next layer of the
crazed and energized jumping
westward  -  always to the new
frontier, always one jump off,
and one jump crazier too, as 
the remainder staying behind 
hardened. Manifest Destiny, or
Restless Destiny?Until there was 
no more space! I used to wonder,
did that explain California? I
also used to wonder, since I'd
been accepted to the San Francisco
Art Institute, should I go there,
try that, become that? Earn my
theory, so to speak? I'd look
at maps, stare at locations and
streets, illustrated. I checked for
latitude; seeing that San Francisco,
if that even mattered, was more 
in line with Virginia than it was
with New Jersey and New York.
Would that matter? Virginia? I
disliked Virginia. I was obviously
crazy, reacting to chimeras and
making my own stupidities up.
None of that mattered at all. Who
the hell cared what San Francisco
was map-even with? Would
someone, anyone, please shut
this boy down?
-
I felt it would be cheating, for
me to contribute to that crazy
person hop-scotch westward.
I was a pretty boring guy, what
would they care about me? I'd
contribute nothing, be just
another stalwart reprobate
around. I could do that right
where I was, and I liked NY 
and the east better anyway  -  
all those dark stories and 
histories. It was a funny mix,
and one into which I just threaded
myself finely and easily. I'd
soon gotten mixed in with, as
I've written of, those black jazz
guys and their jazz loft, all that
cool activity; my rock n' roll
drummer bicycle ride uptown
to the Fallen Angels gig. That 
was cool as all get-out, and,
for me, it was all a sudden
something out of fantasyland.
I constantly surprised myself
over situation and connection.
To my mind I was living like
a king.
-
When you're a kid, just bopping
along, I'm not sure how steadily
self-awareness comes along,
Because of the seminary, I had
really strong study habits and
thought nothing of spending a late
late night staring at a book, reading
or ferreting out information. To
be truthful, if it had been today's
world, with Internet and Google
and all tht malarkey, I'm not sure
I'd have gotten sleep, at all. Sure,
there were plenty of distractions,
but I managed; plenty of beautiful
and like-minded femmes around too,
and I was probably a real idiot for
passing on that, but I wasn't
bopping anybody; no regularity
on the sexual front. The stupid
priests and monks of the previous
four years had screwed me up but
good on that count. I probably
needed therapy. I faced everything,
believe me: black gay blades with
9-inch schlongs, midget mental
cases strung out on drugs and 
blowing their jazz-horns until
blood came; babes in toyland
who reveled in nudity in the 
same way suburban Moms 
reveled in Macy's, Lord &
Taylor, and clothing. Mostly
I was always broke, and hungry.
I can vouch : That's how crime
and criminals happen.
-
Can I help it if the mapmaker was
blind? That was kind of how I
felt about things.  I went stumbling,
often enough, from place to place
without much knowing where I was
headed or even what I was about to
do. There wasn't a real part of my
mind yet that categoried 'Nature'
as anything to be observed. I never
really appreciated yet trees and the
parks, flowers and grasses. That
stuff is everywhere now, all
proper and cared for and pretty  - 
but in 1967 the entire place was
the opposite of that. There wasn't
a care given for greenery or foliage
or anything like that. The locale,
in that respect, was a hideous dump
and no one gave a damn. Tar, filth,
dirt, debris, glass, broken concrete, 
iron and steel. Some days you could
find a sandwich wrapper, other days,
if the rats hadn't gotten to it, you
could find a sandwich. Believe
me, there's no pride involved, or
left, when you get to the point of
picking through trash, or garbage, or
dumpsters, for food. In that certain
respect  -  although I did all that too  -  
I was really fortunate in having
that girl Theresa (Tre), and Jim
Tomberg, both of whom I've here
written about, separately, each of
them working in some form, in the
'food-industry,' using a far nobler
term than it deserves. In either case,
for me, it at least offered the chance
of steady handouts of food. Which
I often enough took , and happily,
too. It was so bad, sometimes, that
I figured a club-sandwich to be
something you got hit over
the head with. Like a knuckle
sandwich, but not as tasty.
I ate both.




No comments: