Tuesday, June 2, 2020

12,854. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,073

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,073
(so sick and tired of everything)
A bit of a haggard dichotomy,
this country has become; a
bedraggled pandemic of
stupidity, actually, and in
ways I'd have never been 
given preparation for. All
those long years of being told
of our 'Superiority' and the
general sense of righteousness,
over and over, are now gone.
The sick bathos of the reality
of it all is now front and
center. 1967 men would have
no understanding of this fall;
their descent, as swift as any
of NASA's ever were. All
those old guys with their heads
down, working, or sulking over a
beer, or just brooding anywhere
they were, they've all now  -
besides being dead  -  achieved
a startling sort of afterlife here,
as all we've got from what they
left behind, is afire and crumbling.
My friend, Jeff Gordon, himself
dead now probably at least 15
years, or more, was probably
the last person with whom I
had any dealings that predated
any of this ethereal and computer
sort of world. On that basis, we
together were quite different 
already in the face of that world;
an apple remained an apple, and it
all stayed that way. By him I sort of
of mark the parting of one form
of living from another. When we 
spoke with each other, art-to-art
or whatever the subject matter, it
was plain and simple, usually
quite traditional, and old too.
Based on the legacies of an
older world. Names and 
persons, titles, authors and
all that. Eventually he'd moved
from w87th street out to Hancock
NY, by Binghamton, where his new
artist wife (name now forgotten,
and I'd never met her anyway)
had a studio in an old, converted
barn. Jeff had become diabetic,
then lost a leg to the disease, and
then one day called me up, at
Barnes & Noble, and we talked
the old days, together again. But
separately. That was modern
enough for us, that telephone
thing. Then I learned he was 
dead. It was a funny feeling,
having all that flush out of me,
as if an entire era of time was
now over. That was probably
maybe 2005. The ending of
that 'older' sensation never did
happen for me, and I still dwell
in that and constantly bring up
what's escaped.
-
No one ever wins. No one ever 
loses either. Everything's by
degrees, until the life runs out 
of each of us. I was always
facing problems, of the sort
never thought of when I got 
started with whatever the
issue was. That's painful; but
that's how things develop too.
A big bummer. I always tried
staying ahead of that curve, like a
surfer, before the wave breaks;
maybe to get out of the way. If
not - crack!  -  the surfboard
can get you, right in the head. 
The funnel that life ends 
up being just throws you 
out the thin end anyway, and
the wide end was your life, 
filling that funnel up with a
million of the moments you 
lived. It looks great enough,
all filled and everything, 
but at the end, really, only
a small, little bit comes 
dripping out. I've always 
been in mortal fear of just 
about everything  -  and then
it happens. It just happens, and 
that's that. Fear mixes with pain, 
and I go standing off afar just 
wanting to die. Like right now, 
my own dog is slowly fading. 
I know it, I can see it and only 
by talking about it, here, can I 
lessen the pain of what I'm
seeing. That old dog's gonna' die;
and she's been a good cracker to
me. Best thing in my world. But 
when I got started with all that, 
with her, I'd forgotten, I guess in
my enthusiasm, how dogs die. 
Earlier than you'd ever expect. It 
runs out, like now, and it's the
saddest thing in the God-almighty 
world. And it's where I'm at right now.
Why oh why hadn't I remembered?
-
I'm not used to hurt. I just plug along.
I don't feel much; to tell you the
truth, the current events of these
last few weeks, I couldn't have cared
less: Virus, deaths, sickness, controls,
mandates, masks, reviews, all those
things  -  people screaming in the
streets now, wrecking things, cops
shooting people or just otherwise
killing them, and the mindless dumb
ass people fighting it all right back  -
I'm totally unaffected and, for all 
I care they can all kill each other to
death, back and forth, both sides,
and be counted as Corona victims 
too. Maybe they'd like that big
inflated, combined, figure more.
It would certainly give the usual
shitheads something to talk about.
-
I can always find something to go
back to and recall; and pull something
from it. Family matters, work history,
things from books, oddball places
seen. There's one, for sure. People
spend ten thousand dollars, or used to,
to cruise or fly to some outer or inner
Mongopolavia for the beaches or
the food or the ruins or the music.
They come dragging their asses back
always complaining about something:
The wait-service, the stewards, the food,
the shows, the trek, the rude people,
how they didn't understand a thing, etc.
They have two bagfuls of trinkets, a
bunch of stupid phone photos (photos
on their phone, not photos of phones),
and ten minutes after they return they're
right back into their old grunt and
process. I can, by contrast, take 20
dollars and find, within 50 miles
of right here, any number of the 
most interesting and mystifying
places, past events, histories,
remnants and investigatory gold
mines, and stay fairly happy over
it all. If I don't so much like that
idea, it (used to be) was possible to
jump on a train (in the train, not on
it) and get to NYC in about 6 stops,
and walk away for an entire day and
find 50 things to hold my attention.
For the time being, and they're a real
gripe, that's all on hold, mainly
because of the horse-manure weavers
who demand all that distancing and
face-masks, and open-streets crap.
How to change a world in ten easy
lessons.
-
I don't understand a lot of things
anymore, and that's good. Because
it's not my intent to stay here and
try to figure it out. My ante-rooms
are already filled with plenty to
keep me busy before entering the
big room. Which of course reminds
me of 'The Enormous Room,' by
John Dos Passos  - a writer now
so out of date and neglected that
the shame of his being ignored 
and unread in these days is quite
indefensible. I guess people just
don't do things like reading the
past any loner. Virtual, ephemeral
waste now fills so many toilets.
I'm the one now grown so sick
of everything.







No comments: