Saturday, June 6, 2020

12,865. DINER

DINER
'That's some crazy stuff you're
telling me  -  Men turned into
Gods, and then to stone. Both
ends of that story smoke dope,
and you with it.' Yes, it was two.
Guys, in a red car they'd parked
outside, and then walked in to
order eggs and ham and toast.
No coffee, nothing else. Had there
still been schools and stuff going
on, I'd say they were Princeton
kids, but all that's been done for
two months now. So, they're on
the loose, and whatever they were
doing didn't seem of much value.
-
I got up and took my xylophone 
down from the wall. 'Hey, you play
that? Why do you hang it here?
You own the place or something?'
I said 'Yeah, my parents do, and
I'm just taking back what's mine.
It's not like I'm stealing bagpipes
or anything, you know?'  None
of it made any sense, and neither
did my lies. 'Enjoy your breakfast,
fellas. Tell Gina it's on me. Bud.'
...And I left.

No comments: