Wednesday, June 3, 2020

12,857. AT THE MIDDLIN

AT THE MIDDLIN
The girls name was Lana Gredmore.
I'd said 'What a name!' What I meant
was that it sounded so harsh. She
laughed and said, yeah, she aimed
to change it soon enough.  This was
long ago, when girls never thought
twice of taking the guy's last name
and giving up theirs. So I figured
she meant she was looking for a 
man. I looked around, and was
all I found. That's weird. So I
then quickly changed my story.
"No, I meant Lana. I know that's
a pretty rare first name.'
-
You've got to keep away from
those marauders, always looking
for men  -  back then anyway.
Nineteen-Seventy meant little
of anything good. Right after,
in fact, there were a few really
silent years; the world went dead,
the lights seemed out. Then too.
-
Parliament cigarettes and Virginia
Slims, the 'You've come a long way
baby' cigarettes, trading off the
women's movement already. Those
three girls with their own show,
and that one, with the big teeth.
Farrah Fawcett. No one ever looked
at her teeth, but they weren't right.
Chevettes. Mustang II's, Mercury
Capri and Pintos and Mavericks.
What a mess.


No comments: