Friday, June 30, 2017

9696. FIDEL CASTRO'S ONLY SON

FIDEL CASTRO'S ONLY SON
Something nice had held my hand. 
Perhaps a tropical thing or some 
ground-crawling creeper. I didn't
know but I was transfixed.  Fireworks
went off overhead; one or another of
those endless American holidays.
-
Elian Gonzalez, for those who remember,
was forcibly returned to his homeland.
Chiseling gunmen, in American employ,
ripped him from the arms of his uncle.
It's a bad story, and it sill continues.
-
He's probably 35 by now, or older. I don't 
know what he looks like or how he speaks. 
Perhaps he's smart. Perhaps he smokes 
cigars and drives a '56 Chevy along the 
streets of Havana. I just wouldn't know.
-
I never know what anyone wants : stars and
stripes forever, songs and cheers, the star-
spangled banner sung by geeks and eunuchs?
What' America for, if not for that? It's soon
to be the Fourth of July. (Yipee!)

No comments: