Friday, June 9, 2017

9615.THERE'S A MAN IN THE HALLWAY X

THERE'S A MAN IN 
THE HALLWAY X
And this isn't any old hotel.
Certain words have always
driven me nuts : Like 'surfeit'.
I always thought it should mean
a lack of, or when you run out
of something. But, no, it means
'to excess.' Having an overflow
of. I ask you, isn't that weird?
-
Another one is ersatz. I thinking
meaning 'fake.' It's from the old
German, meaning, 'in place of.'
And another one : halcyon. I spent
half my life thinking it was 'halycon.' 
I even said it that way  -  big joke 
that's on me. Ha.
-
Not that these were necessarily words
you'd use everyday anyhow. Like, one
time, at a toll booth, I tried it: Here's
my ersatz token. I used to make these
fakes back in my halcyon days; had
a surfeit of these, but no more.

No comments: