Friday, April 1, 2016

7983. THEY WIDENED THE ROAD

THEY WIDENED THE ROAD
Their trenchmouth fireplaces are raging
always, licking fingers of crazy flame;
In South Africa or wherever that was,
they'd put burning tires around people 
necks, a resting fire on the shoulder
of a man. Imagine the horror, then.
-
I cannot do magic, nor play pick-up
sticks. All of my cards are marked, 
and the naked ladies on the backs 
of the cards, really now, that is all 
you see. When Saturdays came, it
used to be, I went to town.
-
All that has stopped now : supplies
I have brought to me. Some little
money for a local kid, full of a
bombast and false pride, I tell
him 'This revolution sucks.'
He nods and winces, saying,
'We must endure whatever 
it is, and it can only go up
from here.' Better things,
my friend, better things.

No comments: