Thursday, January 15, 2015

6259. WHEN SWINBURNE WAS THE GOALIE

WHEN SWINBURNE 
WAS THE GOALIE
Algernon, please! Oh kick the pleasure and block
the kick  -  all and everything together. Go on.
Pick the litter from up the field, fine ladled
of fire, and carry the poor lad's stretcher
afar. he shan't but bleed another moment.
Neath the trees, these spreading trees.
-
Resentment has both prayers and players in these
stands  -  far-off another Birmingham manager comes.
For naught, he is driving his silly Humber whilst
he used to drive a Snipe and a'fore that his Anglia.
My patterns now could stand his pittance.
-
Oh then, Algernon more ; cradle my broken head
in your not so lethal arms and let us strive instead
of fight to be wordsmiths alike together. I know
your mother would understand, and both my parents'
last dying wish was that I be taken in by someone.
-
And oh boy, have I been.
Oh boy, have I been.

No comments: