Monday, January 12, 2015

6251. BEAST OF BURDEN

BEAST OF BURDEN
'I have all the beastly luggage of this
miserable world strapped to my back.'
How's that and what are you saying?
A butterfly heart and gadfly limbs you
should have instead. Go, go, enjoy.
-
I suppose, if I were Jesus, I'd be obligated
to take your burden, unstrap the bags from
your bag and carry them myself. But I'm
not. I am, instead, something quite plain
and unspectacular here : a nigger from the
ghetto, a cripple with no legs, a guy who's
dying of some plague disease, a bent-back
millionaire who's had a stroke.
-
See where that leaves me? And I have to
listen to you? 'I've got all the burdens of
this miserable world strapped to my back,
I can't walk, I can hardly crawl; it's such a
burden I can't do anything at all.' Yes, yes,
again, I thought that's what you said.

No comments: