Saturday, May 6, 2023

16,275. 'YOU BRING THE FOLKSINGER, I'LL BRING THE NEGRO'

'YOU BRING THE FOLKSINGER, 
I'LL BRING THE NEGRO'
That's not really too engaging, but that's how it used to be.
Rent parties and loft parties, beatniks and folksingers too.
Bring me the girl in the slinky black dress, I've got one
here swearing she'll never undress. What good is that?
This is a party, man.' The two gay guys who claim they
can sing, one with the dulcimer and the other some thing
he calls a Rotterdam Banjo, like the Stevedores play. That
should bring us some fun.
-
How harrowing are all these engagements supposed to be?
I've had six months of troubles on my own damned body,
and it's a year now with my wife's illness too. What am I
supposed to do. Nowhere's left to run or hide. I keep looking
for something to kill me, but I can't find nothing except scars.
That's so boring after a while.
-
St. Francis must have been a real swinging guy.
I can only imagine, but I can't imagine why.

No comments: