Saturday, October 9, 2021

13,867. AS A MATTER OF FACT

AS A MATTER OF FACT
Having raised the subject in an
oblique way, I was duty-bound 
to listen. The old guy was bent,
three crooked fingers around some
sort of bottle. His wife's name had
been Matilda. She was killed in a
fire that took down their house :
North Jersey somewhere, Closter
or Demarest. An old stone job, 
from near 1867.When roads were
true roads, and wagons still ran.
-
The place burned, and they'd
dragged her out in a sack; already
dead. He recognized what he saw.
but they wouldn't take his word:
'Were you at home at the time
of the fire? Was your wife acting
in any way strange?' I piped up
and uttered 'Dumb-ass questions,
if you ask me.' He sputtered, and
said, 'Well, who did?' So I shut
down quickly.
-
The barmaid said her name was
Penelope, but I hardly believed
her  -  a lot of times they just 
make up names, so as to remain 
anonymous. Like a gravestone
that reads: 'Who lies here, no 
one knows. Where he is, you
too soon goes.' Not that I've ever
seen that, but it was fun.
-
I asked if he missed her; he said,
'Yeah, with a gun.' We both ordered 
another, and just sort of sat there
and straddled two seats at the bar.
Silence ensued, talk only going
so far...
-

No comments: