Saturday, October 9, 2021

13,865. SMALL SATISFACTION

SMALL SATISFACTION
I keep waiting for the satisfaction
that's to come but it has never yet
arrived. Though time is the waiting,
I am still waiting for time. My name
is Alonzo Speedway?
-
There's nothing in the manners that
marks a marked man : I go to dinner
with outlandish people, and we sit
at tables to pay outlandish sums.
There are flowers in the salt glass,
and some stalwart woman keeps
winking at me.
-
I can't escape, in a manner of speaking,
my jailers, my kinfolk, my masters or
worse. Those who gather at the stone
gather only moss.
-
Credentials? Now you ask? Only so
late in the game? For so many years
I have bested you all, done my utmost
while nobody came. I had no assets,
nor fortune nor fame. My money was
such that a tollbooth would break me.
-
Some stupid crowd slightly murmurs,
and I catch a few words not worth
repeating or report. The chief oracle
has always been my medicine man,
reading sticks on the ground or the
bladders of ewes; always to my disdain,
He never foretold any future. I waited
archly while his tongue froze in time.
-
Ed Koch, Meyer Lansky, Alex Fortunato,
all those chumps beat me to the grave.
They can have it for now; there's but
one life to save.


No comments: