Wednesday, October 6, 2021

13,858. 100 DISTANT LATITUDES

100 DISTANT LATITUDES
I first took a distant train to normal 
places a long, long time ago. My hands
were in my gloves and it was 10-below.
Some black boy in a Malcolm X suit
and tie was trying to sell me bottled
water and a pie. This is true. In old
Philadelphia, right outside the old 
Divine Lorraine Hotel at 699 North
Broad. I bit, and I bought.
-
Everything there was always in a
fir  -  crumbling an falling down,
so I took a chance. The MOVE
House was already long gone,
at 6221 Osage Ave. (I love such
numbers), and the only thing left
were a few crumbly walls and a 
few outrageous signs. Who knew
you could cuss the cops and life!
-
The pie was pecan. Not too big,
for 7 dollars then, but I didn't
really feel cheated. Except, I
thought, they were making a 
parody somehow of their own
Southern past. Selling a Georgia
Pecan Pie in a Malcolm X suit
and tie. Tophat too! None of
it seemed to fit, but I'm the
suspicious sort, I admit.
-
Now, things can be chortled at
and ridiculed, yes. But dead bodies
in a bombed house from the sky,
black babies too and families
blown high. I walked away
some more, and wondered 
'why?'

No comments: