Saturday, June 26, 2021

13,670. TOO MANY ONE-TIME DOUBLES

TOO MANY ONE-TIME DOUBLES
It's been said that Christ Church has
nothing to do with either. And that's
most probably true, though the one
in Philadelphia I was always partial
to  -  the one where Benjamin Franklin
is buried, only around a corner from
Betsey Ross's house. It was something
about that connection kept me happy,
and often returning. I remember I took 
my dog there too, often enough, just
to walk the peace and the cobbles.
-
She's dead now, that dog, but the 
memory lingers on  -  like Franklin's 
grave, which, in deep Summer is 
mostly a pile of pennies, nickels, 
dimes, and quarters, thrown mostly
by those inquisitive, touristy, types
who do things like that. Secular
or religious, I never quite know
their meaning or intent. It's a fair
mix of everything, I suppose. But, 
like the old saying goes, don't pay
the ferryman until he gets you to
the other side.

No comments: