Wednesday, June 23, 2021

13,664. I WANT TO TELL YOU

I WANT TO TELL YOU 
Any number of things come to mind:
that stippled graveyard on the edge
of the hill mostly bears names from
the post-Civil War. I don't know why,
yet there's probably more to that story
then meets my eye. A local contingent,
maybe, all rounded up dead and brought
home. There's a book about that too,
called 'This Republic of Suffering' -
by Drew Gilpin Faust.
-
Over by the wooded lands, there are
12 vehicles, just left in the weeds,
about 30 years back, I guess. 1960's
cars, mostly, now all gone to hell. In
them, now, can be found the assorted
tendrils and growths of all that time,
repeating itself each season of growth
and of the cold spate of death that
ensues. Things come back; nothing 
moves. It seems like that, everywhere.
-
There's a difference between these two
sets  -  of time and of era. Yet, they
each achieve the very same thing  -
making me think of life's movement.
A feint, perhaps? A false move, like
a bull-fighter makes to outclass the
bull. Soon to die. Soon to be labeled.
Dead.

No comments: