Tuesday, June 15, 2021

13,652. HERE GROWS THE MAN FROM APPALACHIA

HERE GROWS THE MAN 
FROM APPALACHIA
The stunted corn is barely borne, and in
this field of rocks little else will grow;
holding weeds and not tobacco. There
is little they can do. The man from his
Appalachia scampers down his road.
-
'This was Pa's, and Grandad's before;
he was called Peddie by neighbors. The
cabin started out as a shed for the crops,
once, maybe 1874 or '5. Somebody built
it to stay alive, foolishly thinking they
too would thrive.'
-
'This place is harsh, because the land's
too steep  -  that's what the government
people were saying. That was 1945, when
they began tarring some of the roads as
an effort to give poor locals some work.
That's when my Daddy got hurt, though
he managed well, even with that big
limp, for another 30 years.'
-
'Now, me, I'm just tired and sick myself.
They can do what they want and I'm not
moving. First in the 70's, they started 
sending in Vietnamese  -  I went to 
school here with a Tranh and a Huang 
and a Ming. Now lately, these years,
they send in Mexicans and folks from
Central American place like Honduras
or Guatemala. Houses and land too.'
-
'I guess it's the way it goes, though
I'm tired, and don't know what to do.'

No comments: