Friday, June 11, 2021

13,646. THIS ARMY

THIS ARMY
I somehow joined this one-man
army only to be disarmed. I got 
pushed around in circles until
I became quite alarmed : red
militia to the left of me and
tanks lined on the right. Some
foolish Chinese kid walked at
them with a rose?
-
How any of it had come to this,
I never quite determined. But, as
it went, locked in a miserable cell,
it wasn't so bad. They finally let
out after three had died and the
us rest were sick.
-
My counselor said I should 'tend'
to my posture and quit answering 
back. Well, actually, that was only
his first suggestion, and the officials,
he noted, didn't like that. Either.
-
I had too many markings on the
negative side. If I didn't straighten
up  - he assured me  -  they'd take 
me for a ride. 'To where?', I asked,
'the River of No Return?' He simply
smiled back and said, 'You'll get
what you have earned.'


No comments: