Thursday, May 19, 2016

8172. FOR ALL RECENT CONVERTS

FOR ALL 
RECENT CONVERTS
It was only a week ago I was
in Eldridge Park  -  singing those
Ringwood blues and wondering why
the carousel was closed. 'It opens on
Memorial Day, sir.' Yeah, that's how
they talk to me now. Always the way.
-
Some 40 years ago, believe you me, 
this memory lingers, I caught the 
brass ring and never turned it in. 
You were supposed to, of course,
and then you got another ride. My 
son and I, he was little, we already 
had a ride, and what next could 
be different? So, instead, we
just left with the ring.
-
Now that was prize worth having.
You can keep your ride, this was
a matter of pride : going 'round
and 'round, with all that tumult
and noise these places bring. 
Each time we passed the ring
hook, I'd stretch out my hand.
-
Blam! Got it! Let's scram!

No comments: