Thursday, May 5, 2016

8130. I'VE BEEN TAUGHT A LOT OF THINGS

I'VE BEEN TAUGHT 
A LOT OF THINGS
There's a fissure on this table, like a seam
in a great plain of land, where things are
falling in. Getting swallowed up by some
bum's-rush of disappearance and loss. I
know I really screwed this one up, and a
big part of me has just fallen away. 
Heart-hurt and sick at heart too.
-
Today I was watching a Homeland Security
guy  -   they have them everywhere in the
places I go. Insipid little bastard types, 
with automatic weapons and camo-clothing.
Even so, I see them, whatever. It's more the
invisible things I like  -  lie a spirit of love
and an elegance of being  -  but, no matter.
-
I'm watching these men. Their incessant
chatter, the small talk of watching nothing at
all. A hundred people and more a minute
pass them by. Without ceasing, all they ignore.
The one guard, for at least ten minutes, never
lifted his face from the screen of his phone.
-
Was that some terror guy who just passed by,
or was I just there alone? He'll never tell me;
he's on his phone.

No comments: