Wednesday, February 11, 2015

6347. THE BLUES OF A GREEN MOUNTAIN MAN

THE BLUES OF A 
GREEN MOUNTAIN MAN
All those Vermont people I keep forgetting, with their
barns and rambling house perched on wooded hills  -
I never want to forget again. It's all too valuable
for listening. Married lucky, most of them did, those
outsiders who awake the next day and realize they've
 got a house now, their wife's dear-family's place,
in those distant, tall and very green mountains.
It happens that way for females too, I guess, just
in the opposite direction. Nice too. Then, don't
forget, there are the locals  -  the poor ones who
feel stuck instead of lucky. Poor enough to be 
scrounging for wood with which to heat and food 
with to eat. Their broken-down cars can't move
because they're broken down in the yard and out
of gas as well. Money's tough, and instead of a
Paradise this can feel like a Hell. And I know that
myself  -  been there already. The ground's about
rocky enough too, maybe for geology, to have a
great big party; and those dairy cows keep hungry
all long Winter long. I don't know how to escape that
nor what to do about it. Hate to see them sorry  -  baying
and mooing and cowing all the time. 'It's enough to drive
me crazy. And I've got left left as blankets even for with 
which to sleep : hungry's OK, and cold's OK, if they're 
one at a time. But taken together, they're 'less than great',
and I'm going easy on that one, for the sake of the tourist
guides and the little books that talk about pleasant travel.
-
I had a friend once  -  he's dead now  -  I remember him 
one day saying, towards a dog there running free -
"I'm so cold I could eat that dog." I never knew what  
he meant but figured he meant he was so 'hungry' he
could eat that dog. I finally once asked him  -  'what are
you supposed to mean by saying that? Do you mean
'hungry' instead?" He said back "No, that's the obvious one,
of course I'm hungry enough to eat the dog, yeah, but cold
enough says it better, because once you're full and not hungry.
your body starts generating heat as it begins to digest. You see?
It's a double-deal, and it's good both way  -  hungry AND warm."
Them Green Mountain blues sure are a song...

No comments: