Tuesday, February 3, 2015

6327. IN AND OUT OF A BLUE-CARPET ROOM

IN AND OUT OF A 
BLUE-CARPET ROOM
And then so : I am with Veronica Mainetti
at 60 White Street, NYC.  She re-develops
project-buildings nicely. 'I think of myself
as a canary in a coal mine,' she says. What
she means by that, I finally ascertain, is that
her own body is sensitive, like allergy-sensitive,
to irritants and chemicals and compounds. So,
when these negatives are present in a building,
her body's reaction tells her. As she then
re-develops, like here at 60 White, her work
and specifications make sure these things are
not present any longer. Her body tells her.
-
She wants the materials to follow her own
belief systems  -   no heavy-handed finishes.
-
'To me,' I tell her, 'any space is a collection of 
beliefs. Not money or profit or gain. First I ask
myself  -  'is this really there?'  -  meaning has this
place attained its rank of promise just by being?
An achieved validity that can never go away.'

No comments: