Sunday, February 8, 2015

6340. I GOT TO ALONE

I GOT TO ALONE
(two Cranes)
I got to alone in my Hell and this is what
I was doing :  like a card-shark from another
Detroit, like a man singing tunes at Captial 
Records Studio in the City of Angels, like
a self-inflicted wound in the hospital of time;
just waiting. Moonstruck. Appalachian Spring.
Hart Crane. Bedloe's Island and Potter's Field.
The wellspring from which all other things come.
-
I carried the body in the trunk of a car, right into
Elizabeth New Jersey  -  ghost city, dead junk,
blistered town of Mexican haunts and all the
little men in their baggy pants. Come to me,
all you who hunger and thirst. Steven Crane 
is resting here. All the names the same  -  
but changed to protect the innocent.
-
Let me say this again : for the very first time.
I got to alone in my Hell. I reached it in my prime.

No comments: