Wednesday, December 31, 2014

6201. WHEN I WAS THE HUNTED

WHEN I WAS THE HUNTED
When I was the hunted one I learned pretty
well  -  where the fallow spots for hiding
where the best, how to make silence a thing
never heard. I even knew about cancelling my
reflections on the water. I was sharp and slick.
-
Then I started going places where I shouldn't
have  -  not for show, mostly just for utility,
and the game of it all anyway. Showing my
face at coffee counters and bars, buying an
old sweater at a thrift shop for the poor. 
Nosing around in library shelves. yes,
someone must have caught a
glimpse of me.
-
It started pretty innocently  -  they sent over
someone's mother to begin talking to me. I
feigned an interest and kept it up. Small talk,
then a little more conversation  -  one time,
then again, and then again. Until they were
able to calculate my routine, I guess.
-
Then, one day, they got me.
Just swooped in, and in the
middle of a very gentle
sentence, I was had.
Taken.
Gone.

No comments: