Tuesday, December 30, 2014

6194. LIKE LEANDRA OF OLD

LIKE LEANDRA OF OLD
What then is wanted : how many things,
and how much of each? If I wander
westward, only mountains and no coin. 
If I go east, the ocean. If I remain, here,
a rich man in a peculiar destitution.
Let me list : Descartes maintained that
the essence of Man consisted in the
ways of 'thought' and thinking. Aristotle,
by his own reckonings, had called out
for the same, instead, as 'contemplation'.
The essence of Man is the contemplative.
There's a difference, right there, already.
Elaborated earlier by Plato, in 'Symposium' 
and again in the Phaedrus, it was found instead
to be Eros  -  or as 'Mankind' finding satisfaction
for its 'Love' unending. Freud said Man's
essence consisted of 'desiring'. Oh dear,
so much. So many the distances between.
Now  -  by these all factors  -  I find 
myself just needing to remain.
-
The next thing I know they'll say
I'm Chippewa. (If I kiss you,
I'd have to kiss them all).

No comments: