Monday, December 1, 2014

6120. WHERE I SIT

WHERE I SIT
(to my sister maisy, 1862)
Where I am sitting is pain  -  a flaming
ulcer would have nothing on this, to show,
nor to proclaim. My wind-shaft atop this
regal barn has no movement left  -  neither
north nor south merits interest. Every civilian
has already left this war, or been killed. I feel
slain, myself; or dripping with dead blood.
Someone is pulling up the rear with a wagon
for field-dressing the wounded, the funeral
bier on wheels, as well, follows that. The few
horses left just whinney and gaze for something,
anything, to do. It's said that Lincoln himself
will be coming to view the scene. That Whitman
fellow  -  the strange man with those funny words  -
he's been here already, but there's little left behind.
I spoke to him but he just nodded, and said something
about a 'brotherly, comrade love', or similar. I'm
still sad. Or, yet, sad. No, I don't want to be still.
---
['This note was found, still clutched in the hand of
Henry Clagger, NY Battalion 4, Highlanders, at
Millrush Falls, May 9, 1862. His body was found,just
as he'd died, propped against a tree-stump, facing east,
along the open field.' - field orderly, Micah Jennings].

No comments: