Sunday, January 6, 2013

4064. OF ALL THE THINGS I DO NOT NEED

OF ALL THE THINGS
I DO NOT NEED
Miles from Gopher Prairie and Windicott Falls, I am
speaking in another tongue, a language all my own.
In some faulted Midwest angle of Progressive discontent,
I am Robert LaFollette one more : talking fast, furiously,
about injustice and pent-up rage. Too many things now.
-
The storms come in over the prairie, I'd figure, one
storm at a time - though it seems like ten some mornings.
Everything is ruined and blown apart. No answers there.
The takers still take and those who swear yet swear.
There's nothing that can be done - it is all a rage of
a raging storm. What am I doing here?
-
My uncle was a gunman, my father was the law.
I was drawn, on both sides of this great divide,
by a pencil sketch of genetic discontent. Dad
was great, but Uncle Heemus ruled. Yes,
I went with my heart to my ending.

No comments: