Thursday, November 25, 2010

1206. ANGLED LIKE BENT STEEL

ANGLED LIKE BENT STEEL
And stronger I rage. Inveterate,
as a sea-monster of old lurking
beneath the roiling waters : wine-
dark sea, and all the rest. I pulse a
fist in the heart of mind and swing
wildly with every new urge. Circumstance
and matter and want mean little to me.
(I watch her, standing in black, along the
old, brick building. She's looking back at me).
I raise a mid-century hand to wave, and
she breaks out in laughter. God-damn, it
all worked! We spend the night together,
listening to the Velvet Underground beneath
covers on an old wooden floor. It's simply seen,
all this, in retrospect : the inner vanity of an
aging mind. (I am an old man now, one with old
metal fillings in old ground-down teeth. I've grown
nothing but wiser with age?). Or so it's said.
-
Replete with all the pinions of grace, my steering
has lost its control. I am wilder now than ever
before - a crusty anarchist standing 'midst ruins.
And what do I care? And what do I care at all?

No comments: