Saturday, November 20, 2010

1200. HERE I AM

HERE I AM
(Reading, Pennsylvania)
I'm a half-feint from Thursday and better than that;
living large at the top of some Reading hill, at Duryea
Road, beneath the Pagoda, and looking down on a city
decrepit, a city of shit, a hell-hole too vile to tell. I don't
know how I got here, but I wasn't looking for this. Way
up this hill, of course, the old hotel is long gone, rocks
are a shambles, and the only thing left, this tower and
that Pagoda, are but distant reminders of a vivid, dead
past. People up here are talking. Like morons. Some
kid is babbling to his mother about where he wants the
X-Box put in the cellar so his friends can come over
and play. She, like the crackhead she wants to be, is
nodding some crazy assent without caring - while gazing
out from this very high window on the white paste of
Shit City below. A lot she cares. Another kid nearby is
pointing out to his girlfriend how he can make out his
house far down below. A local denizen, hey! The girlfriend
just smiles, and says 'can you?' as if it mattered whether he
said he could 'make out his house' far below or 'make out
in his house' far below. My own personal goon squad is still
listening. I was bored like a swallow on concrete waiting
for some bread. The Peace Bell at the top of the narrow
stairs, even that won't ring. I go up and slap it with my
palm and, damn, if it doesn't ring. Nobody hears, and I
don't say a thing. I'm thinking of jumping, but I'd probably
expire long before I hit. What's the use of all this? I
really don't get any of it. But, hey, as I said, 'here I am.'

No comments: