Monday, November 8, 2010

1178. COMA-INDUCED DALLIANCE

COMA-INDUCED DALLIANCE
'Come away with me' and all the rest; the billboard
graces the Van Allen belt. Stars high, resplendent in
their small-town sizzle, extirpate everything in the
way. ('I'm sure I heard the music ending, long, long
before it started'). Like this was Jurassic Park.
-
We ate the medallions of beef while standing at
the oyster shack. Behind us, the fat Brooklyn surf
beat itself to death on the sand. A signman strolled
by, in a Chaplin bowler hat. 'Eat twice at Neremans!'
it said, 'Once for pleasure, and once for fun!'.
In the basket, an old Jew was throwing dice.
-
'It never was like this before!', the guy said. 'When
I was a boy, we could stay here all day, for a nickel!
And I mean all day, and I mean a nickel!'

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

simply wonderful!

gary j. introne said...

Hello. Needless to say, I was warmed by your appreciation of that piece. I can't phrase it correctly, but it's always nice to see someone else take an emotion or experience away from reading any one of them. I particularly enjoyed that one myself - all that juxtaposition and little picture-making. It all seemed just right, in every way, as I completed it. Thanks, over and over. I hope you can find a hundred more to appreciate.
Gary