Tuesday, September 28, 2010

1120. BAROMETER AND SENTIENCE (alabama)

BAROMETER AND SENTIENCE
(alabama)
Everything is running off : the finish line,
the perpetual cause, the ending before the end.
Breadloaf patters, small-talk talking, the lines
of marvelous people lining the curb. I know
them all, or want to, and really know no one
at all. Like a truck transmission grinding in
place, I groan and want to go, but move
towards nothing instead. Great Negation,
perhaps a constellation in another sky,
stares down at me, shining. Each night,
I note, brings another carnival with myself,
as always, the somehow-featured midway clown.
I hedge and I banter, back and forth, nothing
gives : the dam never breaks, the levee holds, the
final drains remain plugged and clotted. Oh to
be in Alabama once again, with the barkers
and the dulcimer bands while,
alone, the trumpeter plays.

No comments: