Friday, September 3, 2010

1079. ONE SMILING FEATURE

ONE SMILING FEATURE
I lost Ken Leone in the theatre - he was
playing the Bard in a featured solo performance -
and, having just lost thirty dollars, I found I just
couldn't afford any more. Like a wayward UPS
man, I'd grown callous and sour over every little
thing. Overzealous and intense, I just knew
I had to get out. Left the window down,
I did, and simply drove away.
-
My red arm was red from the sun and the
window. White where the watch had been.
My other arm, cloaked as always in a
shaded interior and not darkened at all,
looked ghostly as I left the car.
Two halves of one man, fighting,
both for some bad attention.
-
I thought from afar - 'what am I doing
all this for anyway?' I knowingly had
the choice of my own life or not.
Nothing was taken away. But,
the silver clouds on the tinted
glass, my God, how they took
my heart. I found I couldn't do
anything but turn back and
start, once again.

No comments: