Saturday, September 25, 2010

1116. AND OF COURSE ONKA WAITS FOR ME

AND OF COURSE ONKA
WAITS FOR ME

Sideline Saturday nearly without blemish.
Coffee at eight, that was the premise.
Once out of town, I made a u-turn at once,
headed west instead, and stumbled by force
into these awesome and magnanimous difficulties.
'Onka, I forgot my running shoes, what can I
do now?' The rest of the day was just like
that : tired of the movement, and finally
drowned in the swamp.
-
Fifteen sickening runners later (I hate
those folk, side-winding while they jabber,
dipping while they swerve, and running
high-top on hard-top, while they could be
out in the woods), I'd forgotten both my
place and my reason for being there.
-
Desultory by a spin, I returned home a
broken man. Onka was gone, the woman
I'd left behind had already forgotten me,
and the lion's mane I'd left on the porch
was long-time blown away. My watch
said half-past something, but what
it was it couldn't say. But, of course,
Onka somewhere waits for me.

No comments: