Saturday, September 11, 2010

1094. MAIDENHEAD/THE BOWER

MAIDENHEAD/THE BOWER
Sing me a song of many things : all those
children running down the ramp, the man with
the guitar, apparently strumming for dollars,
parents visiting the latest dive. Robins and redwings,
squirrels, and two rat-terriers being kept on a leash.
If I'd held my future in my hand, I still couldn't
recognize a thing. The iceman is hanging out
at the cave, the distant priest is singing.
-
What manner of man is this who brings books
to the fire? All new things turning, while everything
old expires? Look homeward, angel, and tell me
what's there ('afire, the houses are burning. I fear we
shan't e'er return!'). Nicolitus, Aramaea, and Theresa
of Avalon too. The ballroom is singing, in fact, of
all those empty saints: a song of many things,
of wishes and wants, of what is's and aint's.
-
It's not nice to wish a dead man dead.
For all the effort it takes, the
deed is already done. (Look
homeward, angel, and
tell me what's there).

No comments: