Thursday, January 20, 2022

14,082. JUST ANOTHER DAY

JUST ANOTHER DAY
1. 'What's to be done with the farmer's
daughters?' For some reason those
words were in a song I heard. I think
I get the gist, but why the plural? 
Oh, just another day.
-
The fire's all set up, and all I need
is to light it, but it's really not cold
enough now for the deed. Better to
'Be Prepared,' as the Boy Scouts said,
than to not have it when I need.
-
Yes, the temperature's supposed to 
drop again, in one of those big-time
ways that you can feel. Five degrees
an hour, downward. We enthrone zero
as some sort of trophy. I never know
why. After all, past five degrees down
it's all the same to me.
-
The ice is in the breeze,
the fire's in the box, and
it's just another day.
------
2. I came here like a forester, but
unprepared for anything. Reality is
another cloak entire once you get
into these ragged hills. Everything's
either way too old or just plain
falling apart. Every ruin in a
morbid memory, and the cold
runs through the wallboards with
a light that you can see?

No comments: