Sunday, January 2, 2022

14,044. CERTAIN THINGS

 CERTAIN THINGS
(one dim bulb)
With certain things you get
everything, but with everything
you only get certain things. What
kind of deal is that, I want to ask?
How does a winner walk away a
loser, and a loser come back 
to win?
-
When I was 11, only then it was
that occasional items began to
add up, though I was still often
perplexed about the most ordinary
of things: The paper-boy seemed
like a real slug, and I never much
liked him anyway, though as I recall
my sister and her friends were 'gaga'
over the twerp.
-
Incipient formulations rattled me :
I was always making things up. It
worked until I began to get bizarre,
like telling Sergeant Crilly I had just
robbed the First Woodbridge Bank
and Trust. Kept the cops busy. 
-
In contrast to yesterday's brightness,
the world today is one - dim - bulb.


No comments: