Monday, January 10, 2022

14,063. WHEN YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN GET GUNTHER'D UP

WHEN YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN
GET ALL GUNTHER'D UP
The man said he 'didn't know from nothing' 
except that I could not have the money. So,
yes, I had to shoot, and take it anyway. He
fell, with a look on his face that I'll never
forget. There was no one else in the bank,
in that little piss-ass Iowa town. The tear-off
calendar read July 12, 1957. Somehow,
I'll never forget.
-
I rummaged about, hoping the shot hadn't
aroused any alarm. Of course, even if it did
I'd not be around. I took the canvas bag  -  it
had just been delivered to him a few minutes
back, by a guy named Jed. Yes, my accomplice
too, but no one knew.
-
The thing that sets in the mind, almost in
an instant, in a case like this, after to act
is done, is 'Why do I need him around?'
One is better than two, and I had the
money already, and didn't need Jake.
-
Except, in the same thought, sensing he
knew too much, and was vulnerable, I
realized he'd talk. So  -  how things go  -  
I figured I'd better catch up to him as
well....and I did. And just as easily too.
-
You can make of this whatever you will.
I'm in lockup now...and will be until.
I guess I was a 'bad' businessman,
though maybe not a businessman
at all.

No comments: