Sunday, November 21, 2021

13.,955. I WENT TO THE BANK TO BUY BREAD

I WENT TO THE BANK
 TO BUY BREAD
(bum's lament)
In the normal run of things, the
slapdash cathedral bell ringing I was
hearing would have passed unnoticed.
As it was, it was a tune I recognized.
Just a Closer Walk With Thee.
-
Some Elvis guy was on the overhead
in the bank and kept singing. The same
tune with a marked up beat. I'd gone
to the bank to get bread. 'We don't
have any of that,' he said, 'You'll
need the bake shop on Monroe
instead,' Just a longer walk for me?
 -
'How about a hot cross bun, hon?'
That's what the chubby lady at
the bakery said when I arrived.
I said I came for bread instead,
and then I lied. I told her I had
no money and that the bank had 
turned me away and sent me here
to try my luck. 
-
I was on the street again?
Just another walk for me.
Daily walking close to thee.

No comments: